View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Port Guard

Default Trouble with ZFS switch

I'm trying to get a new system's /usr slice swapped over to zfs and running into all kinds of trouble. I followed Pavel's directions (http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSQuickStartGuide) to get the zpool set up and everything seems to work fine. I dropped into single-user mode and did a tar operation to copy over everything from the current user slice to the appropriate chunk of the zpool, switched on ZFS_enable in rc.conf, set up the mountpoint as per Pavel's instructions, commented out the old slice's mounting instructions in /etc/fstab, and rebooted.

ZFS definitely comes up, but it doesn't seem to mount the pool correctly; I'm left without a prompt as the system says it can't find the ttys. It's particularly annoying because I have this working elsewhere, but I can't remember what the magic step is. Do I need to export? Import? Did my tar operation miss some important stuff somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, being able to search the forums for "ZFS" would be nice; any chance of an exception to the too-short-to-search rule? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dewarrn1; 10th September 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Swapped to new thread