View Single Post
Old 13th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
If you only need to send a simple resume, I'd suggest you try AbiWord and send out only PDF files. AbiWord is pretty light, it has a ton of useful extensions (if you want to install the whole thing), and the text quality is OK. Its main downside is that its Word compatibility is poor.

OO.o is fine too.

But do send it out as a PDF. Then no one can change it unless they REALLY want to.
I do not know what Dr. thinks about Ted but I really like it for the novice users. Ted works with RTF (Rich Text Format) which is M$ open format inspired by TeX. It is the default format when you use Notepad. You can export your .doc from
M$ office into RTF and simply open them in Ted and they will have the same layout. Ted is less than 1MB and has no
dependencies.

I like Pathetic Writer which is part of Siag office suite but it is not ported to FreeBSD. You may use it though on OpenBSD and it is my default office suite. Pathetic Writer also can open RTF but the default mode is pw format which is PW own format. You can export things of course into PDF and PS. Siag office suite which has almost the
same functionality of OO is 5MB. As we know the OO is 1GB.

On the another hand the answer to your question depends whom you are sending resumes and for what purposes. I personally would not read a resume which is not done in TeX/LaTeX and sent to me in PDF or PS format but I am mathematician and that is just our standard. I would probably read the resume which was done in Troff but that is because I have a weakness for it.

Resume processed with MikTeX on Windows or TeXLive on Unix is the same thing. You just transfer the source file and process. The same is true for Troff (actually you have to use Groff on Windows). There is a native version of Groff for Windows as well.

You can run Groff and TeX on Windows via Cygwin also.

Last edited by Oko; 13th November 2008 at 05:43 AM.