Thread: cyphertite!
View Single Post
Old 4th June 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
@Conformal

Hi

If I understood correctly, offline backup is on 'my' servers while online backup is on 'yours', something like dropbox service (big simplification) for example?
that is indeed correct. the service is similar to dropbox, mozy, carbonite, backblaze, spideroak, etc, in that it offers online storage of your data. the notable differences are that

(1) it is open source, so the more inquisitive user can see what is being done with their data, they do not need to simply trust that our closed source binary is behaving

(2) we have made a special effort to use the strongest modern crypto available. all data is encrypted with a variant of 256-bit AES-XTS before being encrypted on the wire using openssl with 521-bit ECDSA keys and certs. the point here is that we want to make it impossible for us to ever see your data, so you don't need to trust us.

(3) customers do not pay per client machine, they pay according to the amount of data stored on our servers. dropbox charges according to the size of the file on your machine and not what is taken up on their servers, and many of the other services charge per client machine. if you have 100 machines with lots of data in common, our service only charges for what is stored on our servers.

in many respects cyphertite is similar to spideroak, albeit with an open source client and stronger crypto.

we are charging USD 2.00 per 20 GB of space used per month. we allocate in 20 GB segments since it provides the simplest way to bill users. if it weren't for all the business records i need to keep, i'd probably only need 20 GB for my workstations and 40-60 GB for my music and photos. with our pricing model it would cost me USD 6-8 per month to keep my data securely backed up.

product expositions aside, i think i used to be on this forum back in the day.... making another post about that.

cheers