View Single Post
Old 16th January 2009
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsecofr View Post
1. at the bottom of the screen, the menu bar or sys tray or whatever its termed, i see the KDE4.1 systray and immediately stacked on top is the KDE 3.5.10 systray. Both are active. Whenever i launch an app its icon shows in the systray for both 3.5 and 4.1. Probably some dot-file in my home directory i guess. I did back up .kde, .config, .cache, .local as suggested. But i didnt clear the originals or otherwise edit in any way. Any ideas?
The systray is going to show any applications that are running which use the systray whether they be KDE 3.x, KDE 4.x, or GTK+. If you don't want the KDE 3.x programs running, simply exit them.

Quote:
3. kontact or kmail. Neither launches, though the icon bounces for a minute or so. Can't see any errors or log file indicating what the problem may be - primarily because I'm not sure where exactly to look. But nothing obvious in home directory.
Make sure you have your PATH setup for KDE4. In you ~/.xinitrc you should have something like:
Code:
PATH=/usr/local/kde4/bin:$PATH
export PATH
startkde4
That puts the KDE4 path first. If you path is correct, open up a Konsole window and run $ kmail See what the output is.

Quote:
4. Desktop directory. I have 4 entries in it. In KDE4.1 each entry has what looks like a missing icon with label underneath. All 4 are contained in a gray-ish semi-transparent box in the upper left corner of the screen. Entries are named Home.desktop, Mplayer.desktop, System.desktop, trash.desktop. Any recommendations for either getting rid of this directory or changing the entries within?
That's just a plasma applet that shows a folder view of whatever directory you want. It defaults to the Desktop directory. You can close the plasma applet using the handle on the side of it (make sure you desktop widgets are unlocked first).

I don't use kopete, so I can't answer that one.