View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2009
More noise than signal

The kqemu kernel module can cause trouble -- as far as I know, only when out-of-sync with the kernel, such as during an upgrade. The trouble, though, from my experience, manifests as a kernel panic.

While it may not solve the problem to pkg_delete kqemu, I would do so, and see if the problem goes away. I wouldn't expect it to, but, you'd want no 3rd party kernel modules in a configuration if you were to file a formal problem report, or, even posting about the problem informally to the misc@ mailing list.

I have had similar USB trouble, where ports were disabled. But, not with a mass storage device ... only with a particular multifunction printer/scanner when the OS was configured to use ugen(4) with it, and the failure only occurred when printing; scanning worked fine.

You might consider disabling ehci(4), forcing your USB interface to use USB 1.1 instead of USB 2. It will be slower, of course, but it might circumvent your problem. (No, that didn't work for me, but then, I do have an external USB hard drive that gets I/O errors with echi(4) that it doesn't get with ohci(4) instead.)