Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
I can tell you something: people are looking for the term Linux or desktop-os most of the time. Nobody asks about BSD, most of them even think about DesktopBSD/PC-BSD as some kind of a Linux-distro.
I would imagine that the vast majority of computer users think that there are three types of computers - those that run Windows, those that run Mac, those that run Linux. They are oblivious to other operating systems and probably even more oblivious to other hardware platforms than the i386 (though many Mac users will probably still be familiar with the ppc).

Think of what most computer users use their computers for: word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, web surfing, email, multimedia. They could care less about the underlying systems that make their modern computing possible. They could care less about the UNIX servers that allow them to download song after song and movie after movie. For the office applications, they only care about whoever they send it to being able to open it. They use their computers as a tool to work or play with and don't care how that tool is made or alternative tools.

I therefore think that *BSD popularity should be measured among those who don't merely use computers as a tool for something else, but among those whose pursuit is computers. And I think that UNIX popularity among that demographic would be at least 50% - but I am no statistician.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)