View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018
parrot

The brand of the modem may be a factor, I just did a search using these keywords:
Code:
can OpenBSD work with 3G USB modem?
One result, but very outdated: https://www.chrisk.de/blog/2011/03/h...wei-e1750-umts Makes it sound like it is possible,...
Another site shows what is supported (maybe) https://man.openbsd.org/umsm.4
Has a example, that might work , if it happens to be a Cingular Wireless
Quote:
EXAMPLES
An example demand dial configuration for Cingular Wireless using pppd(8):
and actually that example , almost worked on mine,... One major problem for me , mine never was very reliable, even on Linux, or a machine with windows,(my kid had WindowsXP), even then it might work now, but later no, When I first configured it for Linux, it was not to hard, and worked, sometimes, other times it didn't, at first I thought it was something in my configuration, and would check, finding nothing had changed, I finally decided to call the ISP support, and they told me the service was down in my area. Well this was a ongoing problem, and after calling them 50 or 60 times, and all ways the same "service is down in you area",... I finally stopped checking the configuration, etc,...
How ever, when I started to try to configure it for OpenBsd, it occurred to me , I may have actually had it working at some point, but by coincidence, the lousy ISP was down, and mislead me, into thinking my configuration was bad,... not a easy to test, in my situation.
What brand, etc is your 3g broadband device ?
Still after all said and done,now that they have devices that can be tethered, the 3 broad band devices are rather outdated, for example the ISP, and cell phone company that I bought from does NOT even sell them any more, all though the same chip that was used in the device, is being used in my phone that I use for tethering,... I guess what I am saying, unless you simply have no alternative, or enjoy experimenting, it does not seem like it would be worth the time and trouble to try to figure it out.
If your device works on a Windows system, and Linux, I am sure it can be configured to work on OpenBsd, but it won't be easy.