View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The 16 partitions, a-p, are the partitions that are used by OpenBSD inside of a single MBR partition of type A6 -- on those five architectures that use MBRs.
Firstly, what is meant by "MBR" partition? Does it mean the same as MSDOS partition?

MBR = master boot record

There can be only one unique MBR on a single HDD or SSD with single or multiple installed OSes.

Secondly, what are those 5 architectures that use MBRs? I know Microsoft Windows, Linux and BSD. What are the remaining 2 architectures?

Quote:
To add the OpenBSD MBR partition, you can edit (e) either partition 2 or 3,
Sorry but I thought partition 2 was used by Ubuntu while partition 1 was used to store Grub2.

Quote:
and assign either by CHS starting and ending or by LHS and size. Then, you must flag (f) the partition as active, so that the partition will be booted by your BIOS, and then you can either write (w) the MBR or quit (q) and be prompted whether to write your changes or not.
Would you like to write a short wiki on how to prepare partition 3 with 45 GB for OpenBSD that includes system files, /root, /home, /temp, /var, /usr?

I would appreciate your help in this very much and you can even make it into an FAQ on the official OpenBSD website.

Quote:
Back up your system, first. But you knew that, right?
Thanks for your advice. The SSD I'm using is a spare one, used primarily for testing out Linux distros. I'm using it to learn about OpenBSD for now.