View Single Post
Old 13th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_steel View Post
I have been leaning towards the hard drive rather than a CF for space more than anything. I'll have to think about this some more. The CF would use less power and would probably be cheaper than the HDD, but it does have limited storage space.
Well, not necessarily. While it has its benefits, being inexpensive is not one of them. I bought a 2GB CF card (SanDisk Ultra II) on sale for $20 and a Syba IDE adapter from newegg for $12 - that's $32 for 2GB. This will be to test this technology in my old 486 system. If you want to go with SATA (which I think I'll do in my mini-itx system), Addonics just came out with a nice new card for $80 plus I'll get two 8GB cards (SanDisk Extreme III) currently selling for $92 each, which I'll run in RAID1 (the card does this - RAID0, RAID1 or Concatanate). That's about $264 for 8GB - not for those looking for a cheap solution. Even a SSD will be cheaper and more storage. I'm just very interested in this technologies potential (theoretically, you could carry around your computer in your wallet - with the right setup).

This technology will be (as opposed to a traditional hard drive) - absolutely quiet, extremely portable, low-power, quicker seek times.

Quote:
The USB install sounds promising. I have a 1 GB stick lying around here somewhere. I'll have to look around and see what this involves. I did see that the above cases do not have room for CD/DVD-ROM drives, but I think as long as I can do another type of install, it should be fine. I would only really need the CD/DVD drive once during the install - I can always back up my data from the network and burn it on one of my other computers.
Another potential is to use an external CD/DVD and connect via usb - then only plug it in when you need to.

Quote:
As far as the timeline for ordering my system, I'd like to get it done pretty soon rather than wait for the new lineup. Then again I guess there's always something better coming out, so I might as well bite the bullet and just get my system now
I would normally agree, but this is a _major_ update to a whole new standard. And, for me at least, waiting the extra time for the 2GB of RAM (a big and much needed improvement in my mind) is worth the wait (besides, I have to wait a month or two until I get my money ).

Good luck.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)