Thread: help needed
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelmaster View Post
I also noticed that the PKG_PATH did not carry over when you shut the power off.
Correct. If you want to only set PKG_PATH once, you will need to insert it into ~/.profile. Be aware that there are occasions where you may want to use a different mirror.
Quote:
When I entered pkg_add Mozilla* and Firefox* though, they were not loaded saying something like "unable to resolve".
Wildcards are not allowed. You will find the names of the available packages in Section 15.2.3 of the FAQ. In particular, for the i386 platform on OpenBSD 4.6, this list can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386.html

Be aware that the versions of packages are tightly bound to the version of the operating system. Only OpenBSD 4.6 packages can be installed on OpenBSD 4.6. Mixing & matching versions is not supported by the project.
Quote:
Also, when these files are loaded there has got to be something done in way of configuration. They do not just start functioning automatically, do they?
This is dependent upon the package installed. If additional manual configuration is required, information will be displayed at the end of installation. There are very general statements, if you will share what specific packages you have questions about, more specific answers may be provided.

Yet to your question about "starting", the answer is "no". Installing Firefox does not mean that an instance of the application will be invoked at the end of installation.
Quote:
I often see read the README file, but I still do not know how to display a README file.
You can use pagers such as more(1), less(1), or any editor. It sounds like you are new to the Unix environment. If you don't find these topics covered in the books previously mentioned, it would be highly worth your while to go to a library or bookstore & find one that does. As for editors, both mg(1) & vi(1) are available in the base installation. Others can be found in packages.
Quote:
When I do not get any results from a command, I see ksh: before the reason for failure. Does this mean I have to be in the korn shell to use that command?
Your question is unclear. Please explain further.
Quote:
My immediate goal is to install a window manager, a desktop, and a browser so that BSD can be functional for me while I learn the intricacies of the OpenBSD shell way of life.
X & a window manager are not required to use a shell, however, fvwm(1) will be configured by default if X was installed at installation time. Other window managers are available ranging from heavyweight environments such as GNOME & KDE or lighter weight window managers such as fluxbox. There are lots of window managers, & many are available in packages. A common site for viewing different managers can be found at the following:

http://xwinman.org/
Quote:
Last but certainly not least is a security question when it comes to live cds. When making a financial transaction wouldn't the most secure way be by using a live cd since only ram is used?
While concerns about residual information being retained on a hard drive might be an issue, it is more important to look at the security of the network connection. As an example, banking should never be done over a wireless connection as the traffic is very easy to sniff, & sites accessed through an access point can be easily spoofed.