Thread: OpenBSD Survey
View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2015
More noise than signal

I'm not sure how to score myself.

My shell on my $DAYJOB Windows workstation is the Powershell; it used to be Cygwin. I don't use Windows other than at $DAYJOB. Is that c? b? d?

I've tried Linux. Several times, over any number of years. But I never deployed it in production. Is that b? e?

My desktop when X is i3wm or fluxbox. But I also have headless servers, connecting via ssh(1) or cu(1). And I have build platforms where I don't use X, but might use tmux(1). Is that e? d?

I normally use i3wm, and like all tiling window managers, resizing is something we really don't think about. It's automatic. But If I need to maximize any windows, or switch from maximized to tiled, I use a keyboard command. Or I provision rules per i3wm workspace, in advance. I have workspaces for tiled xterms and maximized xterms, for example. This doesn't fit a, b, c, d, or e. When I use Fluxbox, I do so when I want to manipulate individual floating windows without tiling (e.g.: Gimp, for certain procedures). That's closer to "e", but I use this relatively rarely.

The virtual desktop is an FVWM-ism, as far as I am concerned. All the other WMs I use or have used all switch between workspaces, if they have them, or don't if they're from Microsoft. This doesn't fit a b c d or e.

I start applications from launchers such as dmenu. And also from command lines. Is that "e"?

I think I'm somewhere in the Weenie classes. But I no longer have suspenders, and I removed the beard for the summer. I'll grow it back in November.