View Single Post
Old 31st March 2020
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashrules View Post
One problem at a time. Now that mixing over all users work, I will attack my next problem. Every 10 to 100 min, the sound distorts (hard to describe). I can only recover audio by restarting all audio streams. Is anyone else running into this problem or am I alone?
That must be really bothering. Personally, I haven't run in such an issue so far (tested on 2 dedicated sound cards - a recent Creative SoundBlaster Audigy FX and an old AC'97 SoundBlaster Pro -, as well as onboard hadaudio), nor have seen it reported (but chances are high I would have missed it).
Quote:
A starting point is enabling debugging output by recompling the audio driver with these options
Code:
options     HDAUDIOVERBOSE    # verbose HDAUDIO driver messages
options HDAUDIO_DEBUG
options HDAFG_DEBUG
This looks like a good starting point; I think DDB support should be included too
Quote:
That would be so simple if the default kernel was built modular and not as a giant blob. Grrrr.
That's a possible and surely more modern and versatile approach; for contrast I go as far as building a minimal, monolithic, 9MB-large kernel on amd64 with everything I need built-in (including KASLR) and only it.
Quote:
Is there a debugging infra for the netbsd kernel? If not, I'll probably go for the follow-up step with some sort of printk equivalent.
You may want to look into ktruss(1), or, for a more cutting-edge solution, to the picotrace suite by @kamil, modeled after the ptrace(2) rework introduced in 8.0 release.

By the way, you may have or may have not already noticed that I'm no more than a hobbyist, and it's safe to assume your understanding of C and *nix and debugging is far more advanced than mine; that's why I strongly suggest you open a bug report, ask for support on netbsd-users mailing list; alternatively on #netsbd IRC or comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc newsgroup. Last but not least, you may consider opening a new thread here (considered we've gone pretty much off-topic at this point), even though I fear not many will be able to provide help, given the activity of this subforum

Cheers!

Last edited by Sehnsucht94; 1st April 2020 at 12:23 AM.