View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
As a developer in the MS world I think I might be offended by this
I'm actually a developer in the Windows world too, unfortunately.

I wonder if it's possible to switch over. It's so frustrating sometimes. Like today, someone was trying to get me a very large file from some remote server. For some reason, the only way he could do this was to use remote desktop's file copying feature (drag from remote desktop window to your local file explorer). But because of his set up he couldn't do this without visiting the machine and moving his mouse from time to time to prevent his session from timing out. No doubt there's a better way, but it seems like we're always doing these kinds of hokey things because the better ways aren't available in the default install. Or the network admin, who would know or have permission to set up the better ways, is in his own world and not available to work extensively with developers to avoid silliness like this.

I guess things work too well in the Unix world for there to be as many jobs, eh? I remember talking to a developer who would only do Perl on Unix, nothing else. I envied his confidence, that he didn't feel he had to do Windows work.