View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2009
Port Guard

Default Upgrading from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.1

followed directions and basically KDE4.1 works pretty well. Couple minor loose ends:

1. at the bottom of the screen, the menu bar or sys tray or whatever its termed, i see the KDE4.1 systray and immediately stacked on top is the KDE 3.5.10 systray. Both are active. Whenever i launch an app its icon shows in the systray for both 3.5 and 4.1. Probably some dot-file in my home directory i guess. I did back up .kde, .config, .cache, .local as suggested. But i didnt clear the originals or otherwise edit in any way. Any ideas?

2. kopete. I see .kde/share/apps/kopete/contactlist.xml. is there a way to import it into kopete in KDE4.1 ? And are there any known problems with connecting to Yahoo? With a working account to the default Yahoo server, I get remote connection closed error.

3. kontact or kmail. Neither launches, though the icon bounces for a minute or so. Can't see any errors or log file indicating what the problem may be - primarily because I'm not sure where exactly to look. But nothing obvious in home directory.

4. Desktop directory. I have 4 entries in it. In KDE4.1 each entry has what looks like a missing icon with label underneath. All 4 are contained in a gray-ish semi-transparent box in the upper left corner of the screen. Entries are named Home.desktop, Mplayer.desktop, System.desktop, trash.desktop. Any recommendations for either getting rid of this directory or changing the entries within?

Besides that, everything I've tried seems to work fine in KDE4. Any advice to help me tie up the loose ends is much appreciated.