View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
... I have tried 4 times and it just stops right at that same line...
This is indicative of a software, or configuration problem, then. Hardware problems usually manifest as random, non-repeating failures.
Quote:
... Yes a good old Ctl+C will kill the build process...
Then you could, if you ever had the interest, go investigate what is hung/looping from another console, since the OS is still running.
Quote:
...My hardware is ok, my laptop runs cool and I ran about a 6 hr memtest on my memory a couple months ago with no errors.
In this particular case, hardware may not be the culprit. But I'd like to make a point, here. It is true that memtest and its variants can prove if you have a hardware problem. Unfortunately, they cannot prove that you don't. In general, six hours may not be sufficient testing length for RAM testing. I recently replaced a laptop's SO DIMM which did not indicate errors until the 22nd hour of memory testing.
I also like CPU stress testing, which heats up CPUs to the peak of their operating range. A userland build is not a perfect CPU stress tester, but it often can show hardware problems. For OpenBSD, I like sysutils/stress. For Windows workstations, I like Prime95's torture test.