View Single Post
Old 31st August 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanger View Post
The most important from desktop user point of view is a list of apps available.
I agree.

Quote:
Since OBSD has a smaller number of them, simply have a look if most of apps that you use every day are available.
Exactly. It is important what you use on the daily base. I for instance use every day TeXLive. TeXLive is not ported to FreeBSD! Lots of my HPC friends use Portland compilers. Those do not exist neither for FreeBSD nor for OpenBSD. OpenBSD is not usable as HPC platform.

Quote:
Advantages of FreeBSD over any other BSD is a big "community" & number of ports.
Big doesn't necessary mean more knowledgeable although I have a very deep respect for some FreeBSD people (Examples include but not limited to Dr. Colin Percival and Dr. Robert Watson)

Number if ports is a fake argument. It really depends what you use. I will go as far as to claim that a typical desktop applications like MPlayer, Sane-backends, HPLIP are far more up to date on OpenBSD than on FreeBSD. FreeBSD supports far less network hardware and has no support (except for the cheap hack which uses Linux drivers) for video devices of any kind.

Last edited by Oko; 31st August 2010 at 05:17 AM.