View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st June 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

jggimi and Carpetsmoker, thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
If your fan is integrated with the power supply, you are typically out of luck.
The fan can be unscrewed from inside the PS (and I did that to clean it), but the wires are soldered to the PS board. I've not yet unsoldered them as I wanted to exhaust all other possibilites first (hence this thread). Hopefully I didn't break anything while cleaning it, but that might be a possibility.

Quote:
There are three possibilities:

1) Fan motor failure, 2) Fan electrical connection, or 3) Fan controller failure.
I suspect #3), but need to investigate more. What I did do was apply 9V to the 12V fan at the solder points, and it didn't run. That doesn't seem conclusive though, since the PS could have been sucking the current. I'll have to unsolder 1 wire and try that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker
Quite often (But not always!) PSU fans are just common 120x120mm 12v fans. You may need to solder the connector though.
Exactly, in this case.

About buying a new fan or PS, at the moment that's not being considered. Since the computer was free and has other issues, possibly serious, I'm not willing to put any money into it just to debug it. I did borrow a PS from another machine when I swapped the original one out, but it wasn't exactly the same (e.g., only 20-pin connector), so I don't really want to use it for further debugging since it might risk over-stressing it or something, leaving me with 0 extra computers rather than 2.