View Single Post
Old 6th April 2010
Administrator

mfaridi, if you have truly tried X's vesa driver (as originally suggested by BSDfan666...), & this has not worked, there is little else anyone will be able to suggest.

However, I do have questions, some which have been raised by others, & I will mention these again. Whether you want to experiment further is up to you as none of us are there to observe firsthand this hardware or what you have done.
  • I would assume you find this system unusable without X. If so, I would make one more attempt if I were you by reinstalling from the beginning. You already have issues with your current partition sizes, so fix them now. Likewise, test X immediately after installation. Don't install hordes of applications, & then wonder why X doesn't work.
  • If X works on a pristine installation, install your most important application next, then test X again. Watch df(1) usage while you continue installation & configuration. Repeat until all applications have been installed.
  • IdOp raised the question which was never answered -- why is /usr filling up? By watching installation/configuration more closely, maybe you will be able to answer that question to yourself. For whatever reason, it is not clear in any of our minds what you have been doing.
As I mentioned early in this thread, it does not appear that you are very systematic in your approach to installation as you get to the end & then have no idea why nothing works. When confronted with situations which aren't working, there are three questions you need to both ask & answer yourself:
  • What is it that isn't working, & how did I get here?
  • What is the most minimal configuration which will generate this same problem?
  • What can I do in the future to avoid this problem?
To answer these questions may mean that you install many times. Yes, this takes time, but the result is that you can critique your own style & learn from your mistakes. This is what will make you a better engineer. Don't get distracted by other things when installing. Focus on the task at hand. If this means turning off the radio & sequestering yourself from other distractions, do it. Missing significant early signs simply compounds themselves with other messes later on. Missing early signs results in the sloppy mess you have right now.

Can this old system be used for OpenBSD? It appears that you have enough disk space & the memory is good. Before writing off the entire experience as a failure, I personally would install again, but this time be smart about the process.