View Single Post
Old 9th September 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
...I usually use em's because the com[p]utated value of N em should change if text changes from, say 10px to 16px in si[n]ce without my anticipation, it should still be N*size.
If you want to change size, why not just change size? Using ems depends on the font, and it does vary more than you might think. The "x" height changes quite a bit too; compare Times Roman to Palatino, for a simple example.

The point (no pun intended) is that if you wish to change the font size, change the font size based on its value, and not on something that depends on other variables.
Quote:
My reference defines the a point as 1/72 inch, a pica of 12pt, and a pixel of 1 dot on the computer screen.
That's right, but picas are used very rarely, and pixels are device dependent. That's never a good idea. What would look good on a 17" screen (for a one pixel adjustment) probably would be lost on a 24" one. Yes, I do use both.
Quote:
That's why I rarely use pt/px for webstuff, and why I usually don't muck with fonts a lot in HTML/CSS.
But you have no idea what fonts people will use on the other end. They can use different defaults than what you expect.

I too am interested in other opinions, but to me it seems that you need to code with some standard for font size. Points are as good as any, and it is the standard for print. Of course you need to do the dpi conversion, and I don't know what is the convention for that.

But unless you start with something absolute, there is no way you can wind up with it at the end. It is the same sort of thing as color calibration. If your image is not calibrated to the standard, you have little hope of it being displayed or printed accurately on another device.