View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Port Guard

Default 4.5 on macppc: emacs package, compiling ports

Hi, just completed a successful install of OpenBSD 4.5 on an Apple iBook G4. Things are working great, including wireless! Two quick questions:

1. Does anyone know why there are no powerpc packages of emacs (21 or 22) or auctex in 4.5? Looking at the package listings on the main OpenBSD site, it seems that there were packages for these on powerpc in 4.4 and earlier. And certainly there are emacs/auctex packages in 4.5 for more common architectures (i386, etc.). I realize 4.6 is now upon us, and so maybe there will be powerpc packages again, but I'm curious whether anyone knows why the omission in 4.5?

2. Connected to this: lacking an emacs package on powerpc, I've tried to install it from ports, without success. I made sure I got the right ports.tar.gz (i.e., the 4.5 release version, not current, to match the rest of my system). But it won't build. I get an error 139 and a core dump. Any insights anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. other things seem to at least build successfully from ports: I've successfully installed 'textedit', though it won't start (segfaults)

p.p.s. would happily post my dmesg here, but I can't figure out how to copy and paste it without an X-based text editor (no emacs/textedit/etc.): sorry!