View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
It's not an ISP issue.It's for learning purposes
As long as you find value from the exercise, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

However, a large problem you have not resolved is how to integrate all this XML which is downloaded into a local server's environment. In other words, how is this XML to be configured into a local Mediawiki server in order to serve up Wikipedia content? You need to gauge how important this problem is, & set a deadline as to how long you will spend on the problem before stopping. If you can resolve it within a few weeks, it may be a good exercise. If it takes a few months, I question if your time could have been spent better on something else.

I will mention an alternative. You may find it useful, & you might not. All that is important is whether you find value in the idea & effort needed to complete it.

Most Unix administrators & developers keep notebooks where they write down useful commands, or recipes on how to accomplish any particular task. This may include partition sizes used on a particular system, & the history of past attempts (along with reasons why they were changed...). Multi-step configurations which may be done so infrequently that they are not memorized is also fair material to include. Think of it as a cheatsheet or cryptic notes that only you find useful. It isn't meant to be used by anyone else, but it's purpose is to help you stay organized & up-to-date as to what work has been done to what system. At best, it would be updated constantly. Otherwise, it's value diminishes quickly. Yet, if you can keep such a record up-to-date, it can be a very helpful tool serving as a log of work done & comprehension gained.

My suggestion is for you to set up a Mediawiki server in which you can create the pages yourself documenting all of your machines emulating a notebook -- how they are configured, & what you tried that works, & what needs to be done next. A list might be maintained of future needs & their prioritization. Being that wiki's are meant for documenting volatile information which changes a lot, this exercise may help you organize your own thoughts, & help you keep track of what you have done to a number of computers. Organization is a really good thing.

As such, this suggestion is perhaps a little easier than configuring a local version of Wikipedia, but I suspect the effort required to create your own electronic notebook will help you more at this point of where you are on the learning curve -- especially if you keep the information updated.

Again, this is only a suggestion.

Last edited by ocicat; 23rd July 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Clean up grammar.