View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th March 2009
Port Guard

Default Using OpenBSD as a second router

I live in a college dormitory, and I don't particularly trust all the users on the school's network.

I'm wondering if I can set up an OpenBSD computer with pf and whatever else is necessary for security between my own PCs and the school's router to protect myself

like in this wonderful piece of art I drew up.

I guess there is really no way to encrypt incoming internet traffic that comes in from the school's router to OpenBSD then my computers, since anyone can sit there on the router's connection and peek at everything that comes rolling in, but I'd like to at least encrypt all of my outbound traffic by sending it to the OpenBSD computer first, then having OpenBSD ship out all the traffic encrypted so nobody can sniff the information (I'm not sure what's stopping them from decrypting all of it, but hopefully the encryption method available in OpenBSD will take a user lots of processing power and lots of time to crack). If there's a better solution for this, please let me know.

Also I hope that it is a given that if anyone tries to target my connection through the router, they'll just hit the OpenBSD firewall and not be able to bypass it into my personal computers. If this isn't true, please notify me of this as well.

As my knowledge on networking is less than par, I'm hoping the people on this OpenBSD forum might be able to be of assistance. Thanks in advance.