View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
For a situation like that, I think VirtualBox will be your best choice. See my http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vmcomp.html

(Did I mention that page already in this thread? Well, it was probably on page one.)
The only argument against it would be if you need the XP machine to be a host on the LAN. However, setting up a bridged connection isn't overly difficult.
VMware-server (choose the current 1.6-whatever, not the beta 2.0) does the bridged networking out of the box but requires more resources in my opinion.
Lastly, one thing I do find is that any VM will gradually eat up resources, and I've found that if I start with nice -n 19 (lowest priority) it will still respond well enough, and not slow down the host very much.
Thanks. It may need to connect to the LAN - probably via Zenworks in the Windows. That would be needed to email the Office docs - unless I have access to those files from inside Linux (I've never set something like that up before, though - samba?).

I have a friend at work who uses VMWare running under Windows XP to emulate Windows XP that he uses to configure automated Windows installs. He sets the RAM that VMWare has access to so that it doesn't take all of it. I would imagine that VirtualBox would have similar configurability.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)