View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I don't know, not that I ever noticed ... I do know I almost always use Seagate drives (or Quantum) and never had a problem with them.
In any case, AFAIK temperature doesn't really matter for hard drive performance/lifespan.
Increased temperature can cause the bearings to wear out faster (some types of bearings are more susceptible to heat than others). Worn out bearings will cause more noise and eventually failure. But, for me the main point is to try and limit heat, which will reduce need for noisy and power consuming fans - and more heat = more wasted energy.

I have looked at the new Western Digital Caviar GP (Green Power) hard drives. Their performance is not that great, so the reviews say, as it is basically a 5400 RPM drive that can occasionally do quick bursts of 7200 RPM.

I am also looking at the viability of using CF as a hard drive (via a CF2IDE or CF2ATA converter). This looks promising for me. Sure, I won't have 1TB of storage, but I am not going to use it as a multimedia storage box or a RAID server. I have very modest needs (compared to the average user today) for amount of storage: 8-16 GB is more than enough for me.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)