View Single Post
Old 4th December 2009
not quite new user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
At the first screen shot is says ERROR twice, with UNC status. This means there are (at least) two bad sectors.

There are also a number of reallocated sectors, high read error rate, and a number of other smart attributes which don't look good.

Conclusion:
You drive is broken. You must replace it.

You can check warranty status for Seagate drives online:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup..._&_submit_rma/
Confirmed.

Fortunately, it was just within the 30-day return period, and after the tech guy at the little hole-in-the-wall computer store gave me a lecture about always using the manufacturer's test program because it will give him an error code he needs for his return to the mfg, then tested it for himself with Seagate's test program, he agreed it was bad, and I walked out with another new one, hopefully not just like the old one. I have learned a valuable lesson here, which is to test even a new disk before going through the process of installing the OS and a bunch of ports.

The adventure of probing my power supply can wait (oh, happy day!) until another time. If the 2nd install goes as well as the first one (until the freezing started), I will soon be using the new system without problems.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me out with your suggestions and support!