View Single Post
Old 16th June 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm
The last thing is, now that disks are getting pretty big, I'd like the various BSD pkg systems to dump all dist source code under /usr/local/src (or /usr/pkg/src) and to use CFLAGS+=-g and not strip debugging symbols on install.
Indeed, if I had time, money, and an extra machine, I would set up an OpenBSD package mirror with those options (and also sign the packages).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm
Along with that, I'd like it if the pkg/ports systems would have features that make it easy to maintain your own modifications under ../src and use your tree version in preference to the dist tarball when building a port from source if the versions match (if your changes were substantial enough to require a change in the PLIST, then I guess it would be up to you to change to your own custom port, but most changes I'd envision doing wouldn't make that necessary).
Can what you want be done with bsd.port.mk(5)’s PORTSDIR_PATH? Of course, if you have substantial port improvements, you should send them to ports@ so others can benefit.

My wishlist:
  • Better open source graphics driver performance, and kernel modesetting. Maybe radeon(4) support will improve if AMD is dropping support for old‐but‐still‐common cards in the proprietary driver (though the only source I can find for that is Phoronix, which I’m very reluctant to trust).
  • Better multicore performance. Better performance under heavy disk load. Raw “performance” is of course not OpenBSD’s main priority (and it shouldn’t be), but it certainly helps to have it!
  • I find HAMMER very interesting and would love to see it in OpenBSD.
  • I would also like to see OpenBSD move to Git. (Jörg Sonnenberger has been doing a lot of work on getting NetBSD’s CVS repo to play nicely with Fossil; I expect that switch to happen sooner rather than later.)
  • A UTF‐8 locale by default.
  • softraid(4) setup, with encryption, in the installer.
  • A phone I can run OpenBSD on. Though I may settle with Inferno on Android!
  • Not specifically a BSD thing, but the world needs a fully open‐source FPGA toolchain.
  • More packages. (This, at least, is something I try to fix!)