View Single Post
Old 24th May 2016
Snoozing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
There's some fresh news on progress with the NetBSD audio system in Hubertf's blog:

So far, NetBSD's audio device can only be opened once. If more than one application wants to play sound, the first one wins. This is suboptimal if you want to (say) play some MP3s but also get some occasional noise from your webbrowser.

Now, Nathanial Sloss has made a stab at this, providing several implementation choices. Challenges in the task are that sounds with different quality (sampling rate, mono/stereo etc.) need to be brought to one common quality before mixing and passing on to the actual audio hardware. Further fun is added by the delay this process adds. See*the discussion on tech-kern*for all the gory details!

http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosx...0520_1837.html
Thanks for that information! Yes, I've read Hubert's blog pages for NetBSD info in the past, and IMO it's one of a few good sources for that kind of help. The article won't fix the driver bug I seem to have landed on, but it's still all good, and having a more flexible, robust audio system on NetBSD would be very nice.

AFAIK NetBSD USB audio still does not have type II or type III USB audio formats, nor asynchronous modes, but that shouldn't keep me from catting out sounds. So, it does seem driver related. I'm not really a driver guy, but I've been thinking about hooking up the debugger for it. Maybe I could catch something obvious. Anyway, thanx for the good info.