View Single Post
Old 17th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Without looking at the data it was sending the printer (which you can get with that cat trick), I couldn't say. It looks like it was barfing over something in enscripts dialect of postscript, to my mind. Your font fiddling may have inadvertently fixed it.
I didn't start fiddling with fonts until after it started working again. I don't know - it's just one of those things that don't work one moment but then start working again.

Actually, when I started to tweak the fonts, it gave me garbage again - when it even printed. I had to quickly fix the syntax of the script. And actually, I found that if I just use the enscript command instead of trying to incorporate it in the filter it works ten times better. I think I will just alias lpr to enscript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
I'm afraid that I don't know enough of the internals of postscript to advise you about fonts. For this basic usage, I'd suspect you are limited to fonts that are embedded in the printer. You may find what fonts are available in the printer's manual.
I tried most of the fonts provided by enscript (it uses afm fonts). The only monospaced font appears to be Courier, which doesn't differentiate ` from '. Some of the other fonts do, but they are proportional.

I'll have see if I can scrounge up a better font, because on this setup I am printing a lot of source code - including shell scripts with 's and`s galore. I need a monospaced font that properly prints all of my common characters.

Thanks for the help.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)