View Single Post
Old 19th August 2015
parrot

Quote:
Which, if you're using GPRS for Internet ... tends to be unlikely. That's for infrastructures with multiple LANs that share the same switching backplane.
Sounds like I am not going to be able to use the USB broadband, or is there a way, around this ?

I noticed that to on DHCP, ... also, that explains why it works on the VM, actually it worked
automaticly, I didn't have to do anything, on the VM.
One last note actually it usually does not use GPRS (Edge), that is like a "last resort", and very slow, almost useless. Usually it (the broadband device), is using GSM UMTS
A few years back, I had basically the same problem, with trying to use the same device, on
a Dos (Free Dos), system, it was suggested I try to find a type of modem, that can has a USB port, and the DHCP, and connect it to the "phone" port on the computer, with the usb broad band plugged in to the modem, something like that , but maybe they were "kidding" with me, I never was able to find such a device,. I am sure there is a way to do this,
it just may be even more complicated then I expected.
Looking at this, dhclient(8) just now, and tomorrow I am
going to go over it more carefully, I'm tired,..
Thanks, a lot though, you have done a lot,
unfortunately in the area I am, there are no phone lines yet, maybe in a year or 2 there will be,then it will be easy with a normal modem.
Thanks again though.
Quote:
The error messages indicate that pppd is giving up immediately after you invoke it. I suspect this is again the issue of interface ppp0 not existing when you start pppd. The solution to this pointed out by jggimi was

# ifconfig ppp0 create

This has to be done certainly after every re-boot.
Yes, I realized that, and run
Code:
 # ifconfig ppp0 create
first, every time I boot. I even made a .sh file, I use so I don't have to type out the full command each time.
Thanks though

Last edited by PapaParrot; 19th August 2015 at 06:24 AM.