Thread: Rsync question
View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixjingleman View Post
Am i right in thinking that it's not possible to rsync my OpenBSD 4.8 to a drive formatted for ext3?
Correct. Compare the output of the following two commands:
  • $ man -k ext2
  • $ man -k ext3
Quote:
So for backing up and restoring Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD to an external USB drive, i'd have to use fdisk to make a slice for Linux/FreeBSD and format it accordingly, then make a slice for OpenBSD etc?
  • As a practical solution, yes. Partitions will need to created which can be identified by each operating system.
  • If you really wanted to pursue a universal solution which would handle all operating systems, you could explore use of dd(1), but this is slow...
Quote:
Or being as though i might be writing/reading from a large file(which is on an ext3 filesystem) might OpenBSD not care, due to it being a file, that this large file is on an ext3 filesystem?.
Again, if you issued the earlier command:

$ man -k ext3

...you will have found that ext3 is not supported by OpenBSD. Period.
Quote:
I'm not joking i really am that much of a OpenBSD n00b, from a debian/CentOS background...
We all are/were newbies at some point. You don't need to endlessly repeat this fact.
Quote:
I just want to know about the easiest way to back up and restore all my *nixes onto my 1TB drive using rsync and was wondering which way round to do it?
Again, create partitions recognized by each operating system & back up as recommended by each operating system culture.