View Single Post
Old 16th December 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I'm considering this one:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/nl/products.n...pi=web_express

I looked at Dell too, I'm not so sure about it, I have experience with ThinkPads, not so much with Dell (Only Dell PCs, and I dislike those).
I have no problems with the Fn/Ctrl keys on the ThinkPad keyboard.

Quote:
Other thing that that I liked on my D630 comparing to ThinkPad is batteries. The 9-cell battery goes out of the fron of the Dells giving nice pad for hands while ThinkPad one goes out in the back without any regular shape.
meh, very minor issue IMHO.

Quote:
ThinkPads and Dells both have ModularBays, by default DVDRW is put there, but you can put there an additional battert and this is when Dell is better. In ThinkPad you can put at most 3-cell 2700mHa battery, but in Dell you can put there almost two times more which is 6-cell 4320mHa and that makes a difference.
Guess this is better, but battery life isn't that important, as long as it gets 4+ hours it's ok.

Another advantage Thinkpads have over Dells is that I can order TPs at work, which means I get them cheaper, still slightly more expensive then Dell, but not much.

Quote:
The other thing is support, X3100 has support everywhere, BSDs, Mac OS X, Solaris, ... everything, but with nVidia cards it will take more "fun" to make them work properly and without any guarantee for stability.
I don't care about OSX and Solaris, it just needs to run FreeBSD.
Also, the nv driver will work on other OS's.

In any case, I just want a reasonably fast 3D card, if it matches the fx5200 in my desktop then I'm happy.
You see, the idea is to just replace my desktop with the notebook (Why keep the big desktop?), I'm not a heavy gamer, but I play some 3D games on occasion, play with blender on occasion, ect.