View Single Post
Old 8th October 2008
Shell Scout

My ThinkPad R32 (2658-A7U) runs FreeBSD 6.2-release currently. Dual booting that and winxp pro. Overall very stable, with a few minor problems that I don't care about enough to fix (modem, flash, wpa-supplicant). Haven't tried hot-swapping the combo drive - no reason to do so since I don't have anything else to go into the ultrabay.

At some point I might try to fix the problem with sleeping in APCI - system never fully recovers from the sleep command anymore (it used to, back in freebsd 5.x) and has to be rebooted before it becomes functional again for the user.

I haven't tried CPU throttling, though I have noticed the fan will over time go to a higher speed (never heard it slow down aside from power off or reboot).

Probably worth adding that this system (P4, 1.6ghz) is over 5 years old. I recently had to rip all the guts out of it to replace the LCD bezel due to a crack on the backside. Otherwise its solid for a "budget" system.

Last edited by Mantazz; 8th October 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: historical context