View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2010
Banned

There is no issue like this on OpenBSD, unlike AACS (HDDVD/Blu-Ray) DVD's CSS is simplistic by comparison.. i.e: there is no player key blacklisting.

When CSS security was compromised, it made things really easy for "unauthorized" players to be made.. either software (DeCSS/libdvdcss) or foreign black market devices.

This means that studios and vendors cannot lock out any specific device, I buy and rent DVD's all the time and they're successfully decrypted by mplayer+libdvdcss and my region-free macrovision-disabled "Norcent" DVD player.

They simply must retain compatibility, people would not be amused if their older player could no longer watch new releases... given the crazy circumstances in Blu-Ray/HDDVD land, I don't understand how people can tolerate their models being "locked out" of watching new releases.

Back to your issue, libdvdcss should be able to decrypt your disks.. make sure that your user has adequate permissions to access the RAW device node.

The FreeBSD port doesn't appear to cripple the port in any way, they just prevent distribution on their CD-ROM due to the American DMCA issue.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 2nd January 2010 at 04:35 PM.