View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemon View Post
It's difficult to understand what are you trying to achieve or how is your system currently configured.
Hi deemon,

Xen - virtualization package
host - Debian Etch, basic workstation
guest - Debian Etch
MTA - Postfix virtual
Database - MySQL

I just finished setting up a mail server on the guest of a Xen box running Postfix virtual. The said server serves multiple domains but connected to ONE external IP. On each domain there are multiple users. The mail server is now working. Incoming mails are routed to respective domain directory by MySQL. Users can login the server with their own login and password to send/receive mails on their mail client, Evolution. Or they can send/read mails direct on Webmail, SquirrelMail.

Now my further exploration is instead of making MySQL route all incoming mails to respective domain directories created for this purpose can MySQL route the mails to other mail servers also running as guest on the same Xen box? Each mail server has its own hostname (the domain) and local IP. The working mail server together with MySQL do the routing.

Quote:
One thing is sure though - you don't need DNS server on each mail servers.
/etc/resolv.conf can do the job. But my exploration is to build my own DNS server on a guest of Xen and a slave on another guest. I have no problem setting up BIND9 on mail server and disabling /etc/resolv.conf afterwards when the former is in operation. But I have no idea what port is needed by BIND9? If the same port is also needed by the mail servers on other guests is there a glue to sort out this problem?

Thanks

B.R.
satimis