View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th November 2010
Administrator

guitarscn, I see you are beginning to post your questions in tandem both here & on the official misc@ mailing list:

http://marc.info/?t=128923729800005&r=1&w=2

This is known as "shopping for answers".

While you are free to post anything to any site or mailing list, recognize two things:
  • You might be negatively dissuading regulars here from answering your questions. It takes time to research & compose useful responses. The mindset will soon become "Why should I answer this question? It is going to duplicated on misc@ anyways..." as a number of us follow misc@ quite closely.
  • The misc@ mailing list is monitored by the project developers. They don't answer all questions, but many are aware of the mailing list traffic. Recognize that many of the developers have been doing this for years & they have seen many questions more than once. Sometimes, way more than once. Their patience can run very thin, & some have no problems whatsoever in bluntly calling people on their lack of doing fundamental research. Some of us have had our heads handled back to us in very unflattering responses -- even a litany of responses where a number of people have to take their shot at kicking the unwashed. If you continue to post on misc@, do so being prepared by having done exhaustive research, or expect at some point that someone may call you on being very lazy. This is why I pointed you to an older thread here:

http://daemonforums.com/showthread.php?t=596

...which points out a multitude of things members should consider before asking others to spend time resolving their problems.

Likewise, recognize that the developers would rather develop, not provide simple support. If they engage you in (brief) conversation, they will expect you to be functioning on an experienced technical level. While they might expect you not to understand every facet of their answer, they will expect you fill in the holes yourself.
Again, I am offering this simply as a cautionary omen of what traps people can blindly walk into. I/we have seen it before, & I'm sure we will see it again. So, be forewarned.

FWIW.