View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2012
More noise than signal

Packages are ports that have been compiled or otherwise assembled into installable modules.

I recommend subscribing to the ports@ mailing list so that you can stay in touch with ports developments.

For historical review, I recommend using either the MARC or Gmane archives, and you might consider using both. Both are active archives, each has positives and negatives.

Gmane has a threaded view which may be easier for you to use to follow discussions. I believe that MARC has easier to use search facilities.

Please note: MARC has missed some postings over the last year due to technical problems. Sometimes these problems are transient, but sometimes outages and missed messages have lasted for days or even weeks.

-----

Please take the time to review the differences between ports and packages as described in FAQ 15. You should also read FAQ 5.1 on the twice yearly development cycle, so that you understand release development.

---

An understanding of CVS tags as used by the project will also be helpful. OPENBSD_X_Y is a -stable tag, while OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE is a -release tag. Those two tags will point to equivalent patch levels unless there is a -stable patch. In the case of Firefox 9, as you noted above, the tags show that -current (HEAD) is at the same patch level as the next -release. For the moment.