View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
AWS does indeed do static NAT.
That said, as long as you have a virtual host listening for the host/domainname in the certificate, shouldn't configuration be pretty straightforward? What issue are you running into?
Can you be little bit more specific? I have experience with virtual hosts and Nginx as a proxy server. I run Nginx on my firewall with the public address with uploaded SSL certificate. And Nginx points back to a "virtual host" one of my machines behind. My EasyDNS points A record of the HTTPS server to the firewall even though content is served by the "virtual host"

Now I don't control firewall and everything I see on the internet talks about purchasing load balancer from Amazon and uploading certificate there. To make things more complicated I am not using Amazon DNS. So basically the way things work without SSL is that point CNAME which I want to use for my web server to something like

ec2-54-69-99-199.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

So do I generate SSL certificate for

ec2-54-69-99-199.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

or for the name I want my web server to have

www.oko.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
Also, are you using an Elastic IP? If not, be warned that your IP will change when the instance is put through a stop/start cycle (reboots take place on the same underlying hardware, but a full stop/start will migrate to new underlying hardware, so you should use an EIP for any DNS-dependent IPs).
No we are not using Elastic IP for now and I noticed that shit. Thanks for confirming this to me. We need to migrate one of the machines out of CMU for legal reasons and I am not sure that Amazon is good idea but I was overruled.