View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2015
Scarletts
-Guest-

Not only are there decades of kernel API differences to worry about, there hasn't been any effort to run the Dragonfly code on non-x86 platforms, which are important to OpenBSD. There lies bugs, and it's a response that Theo's given in the past when questioned about bringing code over from Dragonfly. There's a fundamental difference in culture here, Matthew Dillon's perspective is that supporting one platform leads to a faster/simpler Dragonfly, whereas many OpenBSD developers would say that getting code to run on more platforms benefits the code.

The features I'd like the most in OpenBSD are filesystem rollbacks (undeletion) and a less biglocked kernel. My remaining nits are mostly ports-related, which thankfully I'm smart enough to work on, though I could probably stand to be a bit more patient and focused... oh, and it would be nice for my name to not be in scare quotes when it gets mentioned in commit messages in the future.

HAMMER2 would be nice. It seems like there's a lot that could go wrong even in the process of obtaining preliminary support. Good luck and props to Joris Giovannangeli for taking on such a daunting project.

On the subject of the glass, please don't make it smaller. I don't want to spill liquid everywhere.

Last edited by Scarletts; 13th July 2015 at 06:20 AM.