View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Arp Constable

I'm not a professional user of FreeBSD (as my job doesn't entail computers :-() but I would guess that the closest documents to it would be the handbook, dump manual, and sh manual. Depending on dumps output and the situation at hand it might be possible to take down the DB until the snapshots finished and then bring it back online through a script.

Depending on your situation you could probably use some form of database replication, i.e. one database servicing clients and another 'slave' database that is periodontally brought into sync with the master.

And set things up so that while one database goes offline during a dump, the other is rotated into servicing requests. And then sync the slave with the master before bringing it back online

At least, if maximizing database uptime was *my* primary concern that is the kind of thing I would look at trying to do.

Cheers.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.