View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2010
Package Pilot

Thanks TerryP, The great thing about googling and a forum is n00b's hear it from people of experence. For the average, we only pick-up/get the bits and pieces in the class room. After 3:00PM the teacher beat us out the door. It take years to finally experience what we learn by being on the job that require you to have 20 years experience with 12 years of school (programming in 20 lang). Do a INTERNET job search these days and you see what I mean. It's insane and all for less than 6-figures in the U.S. since 1989! I read here that you was raise or "LIVE" around computers for most of your life. It might be second nature to you but your words are pure gold to me and others like me. Thanks putting up with this n00b of n00b's.

Quote:
If an attacker is able to gain sufficient access that they can start the X server and gain an Xfce session, you've already lost part of the battle. Similar arguments hold for having development tools installed (gcc, autotools, perl, python, ruby, ...)
So as long as we use "STRONG" pw most BSD's, can truly takes care of its own. Since I plan to only offer Apache running web-site for each user with-in jails stronger than the Alcatraz Penitentiary, users will not have acess to c++, gcc, autotools, perl, python, ruby, etc. I may even delete them at production time where root can't even use them . If a user need something, build it or place the order, upload your own .. Catch is, it get scanned first.

Quote:
You sound like you don't need Xfce to manage your system, so I'm not sure what your interest is in it, based on what you've written anyway.
To program in c++, asm and perl and to run a very secure web-server that I can understand and monitor every piece of it as if it was only a simple hobby and not a job, and to know how to network with this remote dedicated server like the back of my hand, securely.

Quote:
You can always remove Xfce later if needed; such as using it as a temporary workstation during testing and later moving it out as a dedicated server.
Someone gave me a clue in a recent thread but I didn't completely understand so I asked again. "temporary workstation" now I get it ... and to know that off means OFF is GREAT. I'm from the world of Windows and that's not the case with windows because it leave traces all over the machine than keep sub-hidden history (the kind of sh*t that pops up behind un-standard style coding making the coder think he got a bug. I saw it all and tried to tell others who did not believe it) but that's another story. For now it's enough to know that for BSD the only concern is what's left over in /tmp. I can live with that. No more "hidden for OS use only" sub-sub-sub sh*t.

Quote:
I would not recommend running Xfce while the machine is deployed and under a serious load.

To the rest (e.g. apps), all I can say without quoting Frodo Baggins, is specifics matter.
I'm going to install manolis world soon. Thanks for lifting all my fears about X-WINDOWS TerryP. I don't plan to run nothing even close to like that at production.

I never thought of this until now: All I got to do it hit the switch to run a script that will swap rc.conf and loader.conf and/or loader.rc . It be like having two FreeBSD's build into one .. WoW Behind some serious set-up I think this is the way to do it with ease ..