View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2009
Administrator

@BSDfan666
On a recent snapshot the turntable is detected as both an uaudio and uhid device
Code:
OpenBSD 4.6-current (GENERIC) #366: Wed Nov 11 13:02:36 MST 2009
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 2.03 GHz

[snip]

mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
uaudio0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC" 
rev 1.10/1.00 addr 2
uaudio0: audio rev 1.00, 2 mixer controls
audio1 at uaudio0
uhidev0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 3 "Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC" 
rev 1.10/1.00 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/0
uhid0 at uhidev0: input=1, output=0, feature=0
vscsi0 at root
About two months ago I tried audacity, but it only allowed me to choose the default built-in sound card device.

I like OpenBSD, it is my favorite OS, but knowing multimedia is not its strength, sometimes one has to be practical.
Also, the original Akai turntable went bad beyond repair (too high speed), so after 5 weeks my daughter got a refund and bought me a new one last week. So I couldn't follow the path you outlined

@Vermaden,
I did not have a DVD-RW available and knowing I could mount the 6 CD iso's, I decided to go that route.

@Oko,
My daughter also gave me a German C'T Linux magazine, which thoroughly as C'T always does, discussed a couple of Linux distrubutions. It also included a DVD with iso images of the featured distros.

I opted for Pure:dyne, a multimedia oriented Live distro, based on Debian. Unfortunately while still booting, Debian tries to mount the OpenBSD partitions, friendly informs me that is fails to do so and then quits

Thanks for the Slax tip. If CentOS doesn't work out I surely will give it a try.

My first endeavor away from Win95 in 1998 was Redhat, and being familiar with the installation, I decided to try CentOS, not knowing that Redhat has diverged rather far away from multimedia support.

Last edited by J65nko; 24th November 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo