View Single Post
Old 26th June 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randux View Post
Thanks, Oko. My clients will be Linux or Solaris Intel. The servers will be Solaris or Open/FreeBSD Sparc. Do you guys know how these thin clients are different from vnc? Do they use a "better" protocol? I don't need multimedia support, my main requirement is to access Solaris Studio IDE and a full desktop preferably on more than one client at the same time because I want to provide a development environment to some of my friends using these servers.
They have much higher compression rate and optimization than VNC. VNC is multi-platform protocol which is intended to be used on the wider network (could be of course used locally) for occasional GUI access to remote Desktop (GUI). These other protocols are designed specifically with thin clients in mind, meant to be used 24/7 on the local network (they can be used on the wider network too). They are designed to run on real honest to God thin clients where the real Desktop will be indeed provided by the server. Unless you are after heavy multimedia (streaming videos) any of the above protocols will be sufficient for a great Desktop experience in your environment. The only limitation is what kind a server can be installed on Solaris (OpenBSD/FreeBSD). Honestly in production it is much more common for server to run Windows for example and provide browser with the Flash or Microsoft Office for example for thin clients running some kind BSD. The set up you are trying to make was more common in mid nineties when Solaris used to run Servers at U.S. Universities and people used to have only X terminals.

Last edited by Oko; 26th June 2011 at 01:07 AM.