View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles View Post
This made my day :-)
shep, I'd like to introduce you to Gilles Chehade (gilles@), the lead developer for OpenSMTPD.

gilles, thanks for stopping in to say hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
2) I pull mail to mobile computers and would like to not delete the emails on mail.earthlink.net (particularly while I'm fiddling with this). I read the smtpd.conf(5) and smtpd(8) man pages and did not see any settings to explicitly leave the messages on the server. In fetchmail there is an explicit setting.
I can't help you with this one, as MTA-MTA communication is not mail retrieval (POP/IMAP), instead its SMTP or ESMTP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I'm still unclear if smtpd will delete the messages on mail.earthlink.net 110.
You're confusing POP/IMAP client mail retrieval services with server-server mail transfers.
Quote:
I did find an smtpd.conf option...
This is for internal retention within the MTA spool for outgoing messages that cannot be delivered.
Quote:
It looks like mutt can be configured with an to enable-pop3 but it looks like the OpenBSD default mutt port does not have this specified.
The example configuration I shared above is for a complete MTA: outgoing Email is sent via ESMTP to mailhop.org, incoming Email is sent to mbox files in /var/mail.

To operation a two-way fully functing mail server requires a public DNS entry with an MX record pointing to the mail server so that other MTAs can find and connect with the server. In my case, the MX record for jggimi.homeip.net points to mx1.mailhop.org, which is the MTA-of-record for my site. My personal site sits on a pool of dynamic IP addresses, which many MTAs would refuse to deliver to or receive from. I can understand why they would refuse to receive it -- to block spambots -- but to send to it? That's a misguided effort to prevent spam.

Keep in mind - mail clients, such as mail(1), use SMTP to send Email messages. Just like servers do.

I recommend you use OpenSMTPD for sending of Email, and use POP or IMAP to receive, unless you want to set up a mail server able to participate in two-way transfer of Email.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th March 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarity - dynamic address spam blocking