View Single Post
Old 17th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
Well, it is a different world here, completely !
Not quite true. The BSDs and Linuxes have completely different histories, and different communities, but there are more operational similarities than differences, as they are both Unix-like. There are open standards to which both adhere, and many applications run just fine in both arenas.
Quote:
No ext3
OpenBSD can format, mount, and test the integrity of EXT2 filesystems. EXT3 is just EXT2 with journaling, otherwise the filesystems are functionally identical.
Quote:
I need to adjust .
It's hard to catch all in just few weeks.
For someone who is an experienced, technical IT professional with Unix or Linux experience, it usually takes months to develop considerable administrative proficiency. For anyone else, it usually takes longer.

As I'd posted before, technical skills are required -- either by learning them, or by purchasing them.
From all of your posts to date I assume that your Linux experience has been limited to a push-button install of a pre-configured desktop environment where the technical configuration decisions were made for you by your chosen distribution.

In the BSD family, the only system that comes close to that is PC-BSD. It is a "distribution" of FreeBSD where configuration and third party software decisions have already been made for you.
Quote:
After reading so many posts on the internet, I'm sure they are all wrong.
They should forget about Linux and stick only to BSD systems.
I don't know what you're reading. Nor do I particularly care. But I disagree that people should "forget about Linux". Perhaps not for you, but for others, there are many valid uses for Linux. There are in this world, both applications or infrastructures that require it.

An OS is a tool. Your choice of OS should be based on the use you put it to -- the applications you deploy it for. And you do use non-Linux and non-BSD applications, even now. You have Windows installed ... you mentioned this in your first posts. Which means, to me, that there was some reason that you did not abandon Windows when you installed Linux. Some application, or set of applications, that Linux could not provide, but Windows could.

At the moment, I am typing on a netbook that runs three different OSes. Each is there because of unique functional requirements that cannot be satisfied by the others.