View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2016
More noise than signal

When you insert the USB device, the kernel attaches the umass(4) driver and assigns a pseudo sd(4) driver so that it will operate as a disk drive. This looks correct:
Code:
umass0 at uhub0 port 7 configuration 1 interface 0 "PNY Technologies USB 2.0 FD" rev 2.00/11.00 addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd1 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <PNY, USB 2.0 FD, 1100> SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.154b007a08YE11003234
sd1: 7788MB, 512 bytes/sector, 15950592 sectors
At that point, the device is attached to USB and as pseudo-SCSI drive sd1. The disklabel(8) command can be used to display the OS's understanding of the drive:

# disklabel sd1

If there is no OpenBSD disklabel on the drive -- and for a foreign device, there shouldn't be one -- OpenBSD will read the drive's MBR partition table, and assign virtual disklabel partitions to any recognized MBR partition types, starting with disklabel partition "i".

So, if you insert a typical USB stick with a FAT filesystem, such as those used with Windows, there will be two disklabel partitions shown in output to the disklabel(8) command. "c", which is reserved to address the entire physical drive, and "i", which would be the FAT filesystem defined in the USB stick's MBR partition table. Because there is no OpenBSD disklabel on the drive, this is termed a virtual disklabel.

If this were the case, you should be able to mount that FAT filesystem:

# mount /dev/sd1i /mnt

However, you haven't provided any disklabel command output. Instead, I only see:
Code:
sd1 detached
scsibus4 detached
umass0 detached
Which to me is an indication that the device was successfully unplugged.

Last edited by jggimi; 24th June 2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typos