View Single Post
Old 11th February 2015
More noise than signal

Thank you for posting links to all the photographs, mfaridi. As I mentioned above, it may not be possible to resolve with the dmesg alone. From your dmesg, it appears to me that your USB mouse may be interfering with your disk drive attachment, since it detaches, as if it were physically unplugged.

I agree with bsd-keith that you may learn more by attaching the USB drive after you have completed the boot-into-shell process. As you've already noticed, the RAMDISK kernel doesn't need a physical hard drive to function. You could boot, select the shell, then make a variety of tests to determine if you get different results, depending on which USB devices are connected at the time you connect the disk drive. Try with your keyboard and mouse attached. Then, try again with the wireless mouse detached. Then, again with mouse and keyboard detached.... and if you get different results you may learn why your drive will not attach properly.

As mentioned in my second post in this thread, you could also see if a USB flash drive will connect properly, during these tests.

----

I am glad you were able to get an OS working with that workstation configuration. I'm sorry it wasn't the one you preferred.