View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
Actually, Vista isn't as bad as it's painted to be. Most of the criticism come from:
1) Windoze users who can't just grasp the idea that Vista doesn't let the system resources sit idle and instead preloads some of your installed apps so they start faster and releases resources as they're needed by apps not preloaded (something *NIX have been doing ever since it has existed, but windoze users never knew it since DOS (from where windoze came to be) had a very primitive resource handling system)
2) Mac and Linux users who haven't used the thing but want to just bash it b/c bashing M$ and it's software is the cool thing to do among themselves.
3) And more importantly M$ themselves. You see, somewhere during the development stages of Vista, the M$ exec's decided that desktop OS's and desktop apps aren't good enough to make a steady cash flow from the customers to M$ and they decided to go to a cloud computing based rental model, which meant replacing disk based computers (a.k.a: PC's, Mac's, Sun boxes, AmigaOne's, Pegasos, etc) with some sort of modernized dumb terminals designed to run midori (that's the new name for the SingularityOS from M$) in good 'ol non-flashable ROM, and connect automatically to the M$ servers, there you access the apps you pay for and data you make with them. This system gives them all the control over the customer data (read: they can censor, modify add and delete customer's data at their leisure) and force customers to pay monthly fees (if the customer don't pay he gets locked out of the grid inmediatelly). Offcourse to get this going they need to make the current computers and OS's look insecure and bad, which means Vista has to get axed (XP was already on it's way out when they decided this), also lots of the malware seen latelly is made by them to further their plans which is to exacerbate the corporate heads so they embrace the "new" platform that M$ is gonna be offering.
BTW: I know about the M$ plan for the rental model because I met a M$ marketing PR girl at a local pub, got her drunk and she just spilled the beans (yeah, I know it was a mean trick, but I just couldn't miss that chance to steal their plans). Also they have this flexgo pay-per-use thing which clearly IS a precursor of their future rental system.
BTW2: I don't have any version of windoze, I know Vista from some of the college lab computers.
I've used Vista, even helped a friend update his computer with it then "downdate" it a week later.
Vista isn't a bad piece of software in the sense that after M$ got some messy bugs fixed it pretty much works exactly as intended.
The "problem" with Vista lies in the fact that the typical computer consumer was not ready for it and neither were the companies that these people buy computers from. So when it was released those companies replaced XP with Vista in all their machines without attempting to match Vista's performance requirements. The result was computers with a system requiring a top-end graphics card and over a gigabyte of memory but only having 512 (and probably even only 256 sometimes) megabytes and a mediocre Intel graphics controller being sold to individuals who assume the problem is with the software and not the hardware.
Now that Vista's been out for quite awhile those companies are now meeting Vista's requirements splendidly and affordably. For a person that does not want to deal with the hardware incompatibilities or need a machine suitable for gaming (can't really game on Unix variants, few mainstream games are ported to them; Wine doesn't run many of them well; and emulation just doesn't cut it for gaming)

All that aside; Vista is a major resource hog, more than should be needed by an operating system alone.

Last edited by nfries88; 12th November 2008 at 12:19 AM.