View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th December 2009
./dev/null

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm stuck using WEP on my router due to a couple devices (soon to be replaced) that don't support WPA. At any rate, putting everything into the hostname.run0 file hasn't changed the result.
Quote:
EXAMPLES
The following hostname.if(5) example configures iwn0 to join whatever
network is available on boot, using WEP key ``0x1deadbeef1'', channel 11,
obtaining an IP address using DHCP:

dhcp NONE NONE NONE nwkey 0x1deadbeef1 chan 11
This is the syntax for WEP (within a hostname file), i sent you syntax concerning WPA-PSK, edit accordingly, i was unaware (lack of details) what you were using WEP not WPA.

Yucky for that, but could you please perhaps post some syntax (and outcome)? or the error messages themselves? "hasn't changed the result" is hard to diagnose from here. I am aware you can not connect and just looking for a bit more detail that may help.

Did you restart networking after you tried using a hostname file? perhaps a reboot to reveal any other types of errors at startup? Also posting the RAMDISK kernel dmesg as BSDFan666 suggest maybe helpful, you did state that it worked from the installer and not after, that is all we know ...

Quote:
while diagnosing issues like this is often futile.. perhaps we'll get lucky.
Futile is correct, the word "lucky" stems (etymologically) from Lucifer, let us use the word fortunate instead? perhaps avoiding the ups and downs and uncertainties of "luck" or "lady luck" hehehe, geez me ...

Last edited by There0; 28th December 2009 at 06:56 AM.