View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
FreeBSD has ahci. Not sure about NCQ, but most desktop drives don't support it anyway.

I've used both as a desktop a fair amount, and both have their merits. In the end I prefer FreeBSD slightly because it runs Opera*. Otherwise I would probably go with OpenBSD.

I could write a long story about the merits of both, but trying each for a few months will be the only way for you to decide what you prefer.

* I know OpenBSD can run Opera in Linux compatibility mode, but SMP has to be off and it's not really as stable/fast as I would like. And yes, I tried firefox for months, it's shit.
Yeah, Alphalutra1 indicated OpenBSD didn't, not sure how wide spread NCQ support is.. but they're out there.

With the rise of WebKit based browsers, it's worth looking at them for a replacement for Firefox and Opera in situations where neither are suitable.

Marco Peereboom has a vi-inspired browser based around WebKit, it's strictly a no frills experience though, others include midori and an old chromium port.

Comparing OpenBSD and FreeBSD for desktop usages is kind of difficult to do fairly, they both have arguably comparable feature sets.. but sometimes in different areas.

The websites of each project attempt to highlight these, and with further research you can dig up more information, but in the end I believe it's safe to say that most of the regulars here started out trying several different systems before settling on the one that came closest to matching all our needs, technical and philosophical.

Some end up deciding to use a wide variety of different OS's, in tandem, perhaps that just fits their requirements.

Anyway, it's all debatable in the end, listing out the reasons for choosing one or another doesn't really serve much of a purpose in the end.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 30th August 2010 at 04:19 PM.