View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakSauceIII View Post
I assumed running "X -config xxx.config" would also run the xinitrc as startx does. The xclock, xterm, and xconsole don't start though and the mouse buttons don't seem to do anything although the default fvwm background is there.
If you are running:

# X -config filename
...this is the expected behaviour. The mouse cursor will move with mouse movements, but there is no functionality attached to the mouse buttons at this point. Running an X server by itself isn't particularly interesting from a desktop user's perspective unless a failure is indicated.
Quote:
I can move the cursor around but clicking doesn't open a menu.
Correct. Programmatic use of the mouse comes with a window manager which has not been loaded yet. This is part of the role of startx.

Part of your misperceptions on what X is doing may lie in what you may attribute to its functionality. X is not merely a desktop GUI; it has its own network protocol which will allow users to remotely run other machines. Because of all of this complexity, X is a resource pig. Simply running:

# X -config filename
...loads all kinds of code controlling the GUI, ties into the network stack, & loads both client & server software. The requirements of running X on a desktop are markedly higher than a desktop simply running ttys. You would benefit from studying:
Quote:
You understand your replies will only encourage me to post more questions
That's the nature of the game!